AVID is a system, including an elective class, which is designed to prepare students for four-year college eligibility. It has a proven track record in bringing out the best in students, and in closing the achievement gap. AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination.
The mission of AVID is to ensure that ALL students, and most especially the least served students who are in the middle (students with B’s, C’s, and even D’s). AVID targets students who have the desire to go to college and are willing to work hard. These are students who are capable of completing rigorous curriculum but are falling short of their potential. Typically, they will be the first in their families to attend college, and many are from low-income or minority families. AVID pulls these students out of their unchallenging courses and puts them on the college track: acceleration instead of remediation.
AVID students …
Corvallis AVID students will:
- visit at least 2 colleges/universities
- benefit from the support of classroom tutors 3 days each week
- be supported by an AVID committee of teachers on site
- be highly organized, using binders and agendas daily
- and will take Cornell Notes in every academic class.
- have guest speakers monthly
For more information about the AVID Program at Corvallis, please contact our AVID Coordinator Mrs. Malec ([email protected])