The School Site Council - made up of teacher, parent, student, other school personnel, and administrative representatives - meets monthly (seven times per school year) on Thursdays from 3:15 to 4:15 pm. The purpose of the SSC is to:
- Measure effectiveness of improvement strategies at the school.
- Seek input from school advisory committees.
- Reaffirm or revise school goals.
- Revise improvement strategies and expenditures.
- Recommend the approved single plan for student achievement (SPSA) to the governing board.
- Monitor implementation of the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA).
Meeting agendas and minutes are posted in the school office.
The composition of the School Site Council is determined by the Education Code: “The SSC shall be composed of the principal; representatives of teachers selected by teachers at the school; other school personnel selected by peers at the school; parents of pupils attending the school selected by such parents; and, in secondary schools, pupils selected by pupils attending the school.” At the secondary level the council shall be constituted to ensure parity between the principal, classroom teachers and other school personnel; (b) equal numbers of parents or other community members selected by parents, and pupils. At both the elementary and secondary levels, classroom teachers shall comprise the majority of persons represented under category (a). (Education Code Section 52852). Furthermore, Education Code Section 52852 states that parents or community members on the SSC may not be employed by the school district.